Friday, September 27, 2013

AFTERSHOCK: After the fact...

So back in mid-September my mom, sister, and I went to an up and coming festival known as 'Aftershock'. We had decided that this festival would be a good way to go out in style, as we have decided to take a hiatus from the traveling festival scene next year (I'm pretty sure we said that last year,  which clearly didn't happen. But we are at least going to make an attempt this year to slow down!). Mostly, we wanted to go because our favorite band was playing there, and they have been MIA since December 2011. We were having severe separation anxiety from said band, Avenged Sevenfold, or A7X for short. So naturally we had to go. Ever since Utah radio went to hell and stopped playing metal music, we were certain that our odds of seeing them at home were severely diminished. So we went to them. In Sacramento.

After work on Friday, we drove to the sad, sad town of Reno NV. A town which I hope to never see again. We stayed in a sad little Motel 6, since we didn't want to pay for a nice room when we would only be in for about 6 hours if that. So we braved the very scary hotel, and then drove out the next morning to Sacramento for Aftershock day 1. Can I just say that Sacramento isn't exactly what I expected it to be. Lots of vacant buildings and homeless people. It was kind of sad frankly. So I guess it was a great thing for them to host a festival that pumped several million dollars into their economy. Goes to show that rock can serve a purpose for the greater good!

Day 1: The line up consisted of Otherwise, P.O.D, Steel Panther, In This Moment, Testament, Buckcherry, Skillet, Papa Roach, Shinedown, Megadeth, and Korn. It was a seriously awesome day. They were all freaking amazing. We bought VIP passes like always, which was pretty nice. We had places to sit, shade, and private food vendors. Korn was probably my favorite, but that is usually the case. They aren't for everyone, but I sure do love them! Steel Panther was also crazy fun. They are terribly dirty, but they are more like a stand up comedy show. It was my second time seeing them and I loved it! We left the concert exhausted and smelling like weed, but it was completely worth it.

Day 2: The line up consisted of Gemini Syndrome, Soil, Pop Evil, Filter, All That Remains, Falling in Reverse, HIM, Halestorm, Asking Alexandria, A Day to Remember, Volbeat, Five Finger Death Punch, and finally A7X. Melissa and I stood in line for an hour and a half for our freaking merchandise. I have NEVER waited that long ever, it was pretty miserable. Was it worth it? You betcha. Melissa and I got the last 2 A7X jackets, which was a freaking miracle. I spent way more that I should have, which is usually the case, but I don't even care. The best bands were definitely Halestorm, ADTR, Volbeat, 5FDP, and A7X for sure. Seeing A7X perform their new material was seriously life altering. I got chills listening to 'Hail to the King' which has been my favorite song for the past couple months. Ah it was completely worth the horrible night full of driving that followed. We left from the concert and drove straight home to work. Working an 8 hour day on only a couple hours sleep is DEFINITELY not recommended. We survived, and proved to ourselves that we can basically do anything.

It was such a fun weekend, but I'm kind of sad to be stepping away from traveling the country in search of awesome rock and roll. I wouldn't trade my last two years of crazy rock festivals spanning from Atlantic City to all over the west coast, and many places in between. Let's be honest though, it gets insanely expensive. I think it's completely worth it, but we need a year to recover. Not to worry though, we will still hit the local scene as hard as possible. Let's hope that losing our only rock station on the radio doesn't cost us too many good concerts here at home. Stupid freaking cumulus. Not to worry though. I will stay true to the name of this blog and keep you up to date on what I'm listening to, and going to see.  See below for some kick ass pics of our kick ass weekend! Much love!
                                                                Five Finger Death Punch
                                                                      Papa Roach

                                                                          A7X

                                                                         Steel Panther
                                                                         Korn
                                                                       Halestorm
                                                                        Steel Panther

No comments:

Post a Comment