Saturday, July 12, 2014

Flaming Gorge Days 2014

Like I said, we are playing catch up here. I'm breaking up all the adventures I forgot to tell you about into their own posts. I hope that helps! So my next concert after ROTR was technically Kiss and Def Leppard here at home, but there isn't anything of merit to tell. So just know that I was there! My next destination concert however, was Flaming Gorge Days in Green River WY. We are always on the look out for a reason to get out of dodge, so when we heard about this dinky little concert happening in no-mans-land WY, we decided why not! It was a very small concert compared to our usual 20,000+ concerts that we attend. It was still fun! The bands were Pop Evil, Redlight King, Royal Bliss and Otherwise! Pretty good lineup for the middle of nowhere, right? But as small town concerts usually do, there were some technical difficulties with Otherwise which made me so sad! I was there with some family members that had never seen them before and I had told them how great they were, but that night they made me look like a liar... The sound was all sorts of off and it actually made it painful to sit through their set. That has never happened for me with them before so I was pretty sad. The second band to play was Royal Bliss from back home in SLC. It never ceases to amaze me just how amazing they are live. I love everything about this band, and not just because they are from home. They are genuinely the nicest guys and are so down to earth. They aren't a big band by any stretch of the imagination, but they have a pretty good following. I could seriously watch them perform all day. Such a great band. Frankly I wanted to support them, so they were my main reason for even driving up to this concert. I had literally just seen Redlight King and Pop Evil the month before, so I wasn't exactly waiting with baited breath for their sets, but they both did a decent job. Sometimes I go to concerts like this, not necessarily for the bands themselves, but to support live rock music. I was hoping for a big crowd so the bands didn't feel like they were wasting their time, but was a little disappointed by the turn out. Then again we were in the middle of nowhere and it was a miracle that people showed up at all. I don't know the rock music scene in WY works, but somehow I think it's even worse than at home. At least at home we get some concerts! So I was happy to get up there and freeze my ass off in the name of rock music. Plus I got to go play on the lake the next day so that made it all better.
  I don't know if people really read this stuff or if I'm just shouting into the void, but if you're reading this I beg you to get out there and support the bands you love. Without our support they can't do what they do. When you hear a band you like on the radio, let the station know you loved it and to keep it up! Take for instance today. I listen to Sirius XM radio because where I come from rock music on the radio is all but dead. So I turn to satellite radio to get my fix (I listen to Octane station 37 for those of you who have it-look it up!). They played a Royal Bliss song this morning! I was seriously elated to hear our hometown boys played on a nationwide radio station! If a band that you like is coming to town, get out there and support them! Let's be honest-you can get concert tickets pretty cheap if you need to, so get out there. Show them some love and let them know that rock isn't dead. It's people like us that will keep it alive. So do your part. Stay Classy.
-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment