Saturday, July 12, 2014

MAYHEM FESTIVAL 2014

My latest trip took place over 4th of July weekend! When we saw that Korn and A7X were co-headlining the Mayhem Festival this year, we knew missing was not an option. We decided we would go to the first stop on the tour-San Bernardino CA. Thursday night we stopped in Vegas and spent the night at the Bellagio. We had prepaid for a room with a view of the fountains, but they had given away all of those rooms before we got there. The lady got on the phone with her boss and they decided to upgrade us to a suite! I figured it was going to be a "suite" as in the room is a little bigger than a regular room but nothing spectacular. Oh how wrong I was! We had to use a special set of elevators and had to swipe our key to even get to our floor! When I saw that I knew. This was going to AWESOME! We got to the room and I about died. It was HUGE! 1000 square feet. 2 1/2 baths, spectacular views of the fountains, and everything had a freaking remote! They had a fruit tray waiting for us as well as some Belgian chocolates (the tray of fruit had a card addressed to someone else, apparently 'Edward' didn't show up, so we got his room. and his fruit. sucker!) One bathroom had a jetted tub and the other had a shower/sauna which was way cool. The mirrors had remotes and so did the drapes (that was my favorite part-opening the drapes. from my bed. like a boss). Not to mention the beds were like sleeping on a cloud. It was the best nights sleep I've ever had. It seriously felt like something out of the movies. Needless to say it's going to make staying in a normal people room in Vegas next to impossible because I know what I'm missing now. Totally worth it though.






The next day we just played on the strip and did some shopping and ate lunch at the Grand Lux Cafe which I love. Around 4 we decided we had better start the next leg of our trip which was a 4 hour drive to San Bernardino. We got there around 8, checked in to the Holiday Inn Express which was a far cry from where we had just come from. Somehow we survived though! We went to Red Lobster for dinner and mentally prepared ourselves for what was about to happen to us the next day. 
    The concert was held at San Manuel Amphitheater which apparently is the largest outdoor music venue in the country. After seeing it and seeing how many people were there, I can totally believe that. We got there around 3 in the afternoon and it was wretchedly hot. It was only 100 degrees but it felt so much hotter because of the humidity. Thankfully we had enough sense to buy the VIP package so we had access to the private lounge complete with couches, shade, private bar, and free ice cream! There were 4 stages total-3 on the outside and then the main amphitheater stage. We wandered around to the three little stages and watched Mushroomhead and a few other smaller bands, but ultimately we didn't like any of them enough to sweat to death for them, so we headed back to the lounge after visiting the merch booth. It wasn't too long before they opened up the main stage area that I began to notice some familiar faces in the VIP area. Famous faces. Jonathan Davis's (Korn's lead singer) youngest son walked right past me to go get an ice cream. Members of Asking Alexandria's crew were hanging out at the next table over and Da Kurlzz from Hollywood Undead was standing a few feet away. I swear he is at every concert I go to anywhere from California to Las Vegas. I see him every time, but I always wuss out and never get my picture taken with him. Maybe next time. Tons of famous people too numerous to list were hanging out in there to the point that I almost wondered if I was in the wrong place! It was crazy cool. We finally went out and took our seats at the main stage area and watched Trivium and Asking Alexandria do a pretty good set. Apparently most of the crowd wasn't feeling AA, but I thought they did pretty well. During this time I also noticed that Ice-T was sitting a couple rows behind us! That was pretty cool. Once Korn came on all hell broke loose in that place. Bon fires on the lawn (border line out of control fires might I add, no wonder that state is always on fire...), lots of crazy crowd activity and true to form for every CA concert I've ever been to, that familiar haze hung over the crowd from all the weed. Korn performed the best set I've ever seen them do, which is saying something because I saw them 4 times in 7 months last year alone. honestly I think I've seen them a total of 7 or so times. They were amazing! It was fun to see the crowd respond so well to them. At the end several of the band members brought their kids out of stage to jam with them for the last song. It was adorable. 
   Finally A7X was up again and they were simply incredible as always. It was my 9th time seeing them and as always, it was life-altering. I could seriously see them perform every day of my life and be completely happy. They put on one of the best live shows ever. Everyone should see them at least once in their lives, but once will never be enough. I've decided that for my 10th time seeing them I want to chase them someplace really cool. Maybe out of the country? Who know, that remains to be seen. That's the goal though. By the time the night was over I was sweaty, smelt like illicit drugs, and had ruined my poor toms but it was such a great night! San Bernardino sure knows how to party! Apparently they are having Knotfest at that same venue in October. If it was any other month I would SO be there, but sadly because of work I'm missing out on what is sure to be one of the biggest rock weekends ever. Definitely disappointed, but frankly if the crowd was that out of control for Mayhem I can't even image the level of crazy they will bring for Knotfest. So maybe in the end it is for the best. 
    Sadly I don't have any rock concerts planned until Labor Day weekend where we are going to Tampa FL for the Uproar festival. Sadly they haven't announced if they are playing in SLC yet, but they have a few dates left open so I'm really hoping we snag one of them. Then I will just go to Uproar twice this year. It's going to be amazing! 
   Well here are some pictures from Mayhem. Hopefully it won't be so long before I post again! Stay classy. 


Ice-T just hanging out at the concert after his set



A little portion of the VIP area





No comments:

Post a Comment